6-Course Locally Inspired Dinner Event
Just a few blocks north of bustling Union Market lies Ivy City, a once-grimy industrial zone that has experienced a renaissance in recent years. Here, as of July 2018, the former Pappas Tomato Factory has become an airy, light-filled destination called Gravitas, where Chef Matt Baker is turning out food that manages to be artful without being fussy. A graduate of such great D.C. restaurants as Jose Andres’ Minibar, Brasserie Beck, Occidental Grill & Seafood, and City Perch, Chef Baker, who was named in Zagat’s 2015 “Top 30 Under 30” listing, draws on signature elements like caramelized leeks, poached morel mushrooms, truffle-crusted diver scallops, and fennel marmalade, as well as touches that speak to the time he spent working in Singapore and traveling throughout Asia. The result? Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema named Gravitas “one of D.C.’s top 10 new restaurants.” The spectacular setting will be ours for the evening, as Chef Baker takes your questions, discusses his vision, and shares his food passions.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
A graduate of Johnson & Wales University, Chef Baker took his first Executive Chef position at Krish in Singapore, where he was named "The Country's Hottest Chef" by Time Magazine. One of Zagat's 2015 "30 Under 30", he honed his skills at Minibar, Brasserie Beck, Occidental Grill & Seafood, and City Perch in Bethesda before opening Gravitas in February 2018.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Crispy Poached Egg
with confit chicken thigh, chicken sabayon, caramelized fennel and onion, and tarragon
Roasted Baby Carrot & Beet Salad
with pickled mustard seeds, pea shoots, and candied walnuts
Roasted Amish Chicken
with persian-style cherry rice, spring herb salad, and shaved radish
with caper-herb brown butter, roasted fingerling potato, and green beans
Spring Vegetable Bagna Cauda
with fried bread, lemon-caper aioli, and herbs
with macerated strawberry, rhubarb, mint, and absinthe
1401 Okie St NE
Washington, DC, DC 20002
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we may allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.