1st Seating: 6-Course Celebrating Oaxaca Dinner Series
Iliana de la Vega is a Mexican-born chef who won worldwide acclaim for her restaurant and cooking school, El Naranjo, in Oaxaca, Mexico, featured in the New York Times and Bon Appétit. In 2012, she and her husband Ernesto opened El Naranjo restaurant on Rainey Street, which has since been recognized as the best Mexican restaurant in the city. Austin360eats says that El Naranjo “creates moles with texture and depth that have no equal in town” and Austin Eater named one of the “38 Essential Restaurants in Austin, Spring 2019.” We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Iliana, who hosted the first cooking classes dedicated to Mexican cuisine at the newly-opened San Antonio campus of the Culinary Institute of America and who is frequently called upon to make national media appearances to help people understand Mexican food beyond tacos and Tex-Mex, will be on hand to do just that.
About the Host:
Iliana de la Vega
Chef & Co-Owner
Born in Oaxaca, Chef de la Vega opened her first restaurant, also called El Naranjo, to great critical acclaim in Mexico, but was forced to relocate to the US in 2006 due to political unrest. Moving to Austin, Chef de la Vega taught Mexican cuisine at the Culinary Institute of America before opening the new El Naranjo in May 2012 with her husband Ernesto, for which she earned a James Beard Award nomination for Best Chef, SW.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Tostadita de Atun Marinado
yellowfin tuna tostada with sesame seed oil, chintextle, mayo, and avocado
Calabaza al Chipotle
squash cooked in tomato and chipotle and served with spinach
Ancho Chile Relleno de Escabeche de Salmon
ancho chile filled with pickled salmon
Mole Verde con Callo de Hacha
scallops in oaxacan mole verde sauce
Costilla de Res a Los Dos Chiles
braised short rib in two dry chiles sauce served with potatoes and salsa verde
Mousse de Mamey y Almendra
almond and mamey mousse garnished with berries
85 Rainey St, Austin, TX 78701
Austin, TX 78701
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.
- Does this restaurant allow BYOB?
- No. This restaurant is a non-BYO establishment. Outside alcohol will not be permitted at this event.