DAY 1: 8-Course South Indian Inspired Feast
NYC native Arun Gupta grew up with an Indian father and a Polish-American mother and honed his early kitchen skills frying pooris and shaping perogis. After graduating from Tufts University, he landed a job cooking at the legendary Gramercy Tavern, where he harnessed his culinary passion and honed his craft for the better part of five years (see his full bio below). He then caught the eye of DOSA'S owner, Anjan Mitra, who convinced Chef Gupta to tap into his roots and oversee this budding South Indian culinary empire. Now in charge of DOSA'S culinary direction, Chef Gupta relishes the opportunity to use the bounty of California's incredible produce and create food that feels authentically Indian. Since taking over, Chef Gupta's innovative take on Indian cuisine has garnered nothing but glowing praise from the food press, including a 2018 Michelin Bib Gourmand selection. We'll be taking over the restaurant for this event and Chef Gupta will, as usual, be coming out of the kitchen throughout the evening to discuss his food philosophy and participate in a Q&A with attendees.
About the Host:
After graduating from Tufts University, Chef Gupta had a brief career teaching chess before switching gears to the professional kitchen. His culinary career kicked off with a 5-year stint in the kitchen of NYC's legendary Gramercy Tavern. He then went on to serve as Chef de Cuisine at Maysville, the 2-Star NY Times Critics' Pick eatery, before moving to SF to take the reigns at DOSA.
The Feast Lineup
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
South Indian-Style Hors d'Oeuvres
potato masala and peach and avocado dahi puri
northern california fruits and vegetables with coconut cream and cilantro chutney
Heirloom Tomato Masala
with melon, yogurt, and fried idli
Kerala Houseboat Curry
with mussels, rockfish, nardello peppers, and village rice
Ambur Chicken Curry
with california almonds, pickled peppers, and lemon rice
with zahidi dates, almonds, and puffed crackers
Roasted Lamb Ribs "Periyar Style"
with black pepper honey, chutneys, and achaars
indian semolina pudding with cashew chikki and pluot
1700 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94115
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.