DAY 2, 2nd Seating: 6-Course Ode to Southeast Asia Dinner Series
Doi Moi’s executive chef Johanna Hellrigl grew up a restaurant brat. Her mother and father, a Michelin-starred chef, owned Palio, an upscale Italian eatery in midtown Manhattan. However, during her four years in Southeast Asia working for a democracy-building organization that focused on empowering women, she fell in love with the foods of that part of the world. At Doi Moi, which means “new changes,” quite apt given the renewal of the Logan Circle neighborhood where it is located and the renovation of the historic building in which it is housed, Chef Hellrigl draws upon the culinary traditions and regional dishes found throughout Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka. The Washingtonian ranked Doi Moi in its Top 100 D.C. Restaurants in 2019, and Michelin lauds “the flavor-packed riot of its food.” We will be taking over Doi Moi for the evening, and Chef Hellrigl will be on hand to answer your questions and talk about her food passions.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
Born into a family of Michelin-starred chefs, Chef Hellrigl was previously Head Chef of Via Umbria and Boulangerie Christophe in Georgetown, before founding Johanna's Table, a successful DC pop-up series and catering business. After traveling extensively in Southeast Asia to immerse herself in the regions' cuisines, she took the helm at Doi Moi in 2018.
All savory courses will be served family-style. Dessert will be portioned individually.
Sri Lankan Breaded Samosas
stuffed with curry powder-spiced potato, breaded and served with a coconut pol sambal
Cambodian Green Mango Salad
with green mango, carrots, chayote, thai basil, and cashews
Chef's Choice Skewer Medley
assortment of duck heart with tamarind, peanut, and piri piri, salt and pepper squid with birds eye chili and scallion, and chicken with turmeric and chili
Char Kuey Teow Noodles
stir-fried flat rice noodles with black garlic sauce, prawns, and chinese sausage
Braised Short Rib Jungle Curry
spicy short rib curry with thai eggplant and holy basil
Pastel de Nata
portuguese custard tart served with housemade peach palm fruit jam
1800 14th St NW
Washington, DC 20009
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets to our events are non-refundable. However, for first-time emergency requests, we allow members to transfer their tickets to friends, provided the guest ticket surcharge of $25 is paid when transferring a member ticket to a non-member. All ticket transfer requests must be emailed to us prior to the event and the guest ticket surcharge of $25 must be paid prior to the event. Guests who have not paid the guest ticket surcharge will not be allowed entry.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies. Just make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.