1st Seating: 6-Course Modern Californian Event
Cassava, a starchy root that is a staple of Filipino cooking, is the namesake of this restaurant that pays tribute to the chef’s roots. Chef Kristoffer Toliao was born in San Francisco, but, when he was two, he and his mother moved to The Philippines, where he lived until he was ten. Back in the U.S., he went to Le Cordon Bleu in Pasadena and then enjoyed a long and fruitful apprenticeship working with Chef Dominique Crenn, renowned proprietor of San Francisco’s two Michelin-starred Atelier Crenn and winner of the James Beard Award for Best Chef: West. Chef Toliao also trained at the two-Michelin starred kaiseki restaurant Kikunoi in Tokyo. In 2012, he opened Cassava on quaint Balboa Street in Outer Richmond. Here, he turns out original and flavorful modern American cooking with Asian influences, creating what SF Eater calls, “A destination worthy of traversing the city.” We will be taking over the restaurant for this event, and Chef Toliao will be on hand to answer your questions and tell his story.
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
Chef Toliao has spent much of his professional career cooking under legendary chef Dominique Crenn; first, in Los Angeles at Manhattan Country Club, then in San Francisco where he was tasked with opening Michelin-starred restaurant, Luce. In 2010, he moved to Tokyo to stage at Two Michelin-starred kaiseki restaurant, Kikunoi, and it was during this stay that he became inspired to open his own restaurant. Upon returning to SF in 2011, he opened Cassava with his wife Yuka Ioroi.
Some courses will be served family-style, and others will be plated individually.
Di Stefano Burrata
with baby lettuce, grapes, mara bois strawberries, and marla bakery's bread
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
with jalapeño aioli
Kabocha & Uni Custard
with mendocino kombucha dashi gelee
with buckwheat spaetzel and mustard broccolini
Llano Seco Pork Chop
with sweet potato gratin and granny smith chutney
Sesame Panna Cotta
with pumpkin butter and berries
3519 Balboa St
San Francisco, CA 94121
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- Unfortunately, for this event we will not be able to accommodate any dietary restrictions or food allergies. Apologies for the inconvenience!
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $70 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.