DAY 1: 9-Course Modern Japanese Soul Food Feast
Maiko Kyogoku opened Bessou just over 6 months ago as a way to both honor and share her family's food traditions. She grew up in NYC's restaurant world, the daughter Japanese immigrants turned Upper West Side sushi restaurant owners. However, the menu at Bessou bears no resemblance to that of her parents' restaurant. You won't find the sushi and tempura dishes that fill up most of the city's Japanese restaurants. Instead, Maiko has created a menu that draws upon the traditional Japanese comfort food her mother would cook at home throughout her childhood. At the helm in the kitchen is Chef Emily Yuen, who was recently featured by Zagat as one of the top "Under-the-Radar Chefs to Watch in 2017". We'll be taking over the entire restaurant for this event and both Chef Yuen and Maiko will be coming out throughout the feast to introduce the dishes and share stories.
About the Host:
Executive Chef @ Bessou
Prior to opening Bessou, Chef Yuen cut her teeth in the kitchen at Boulud Sud, and before that she cooked in London at Michelin-Starred Le Gavroche.
The Feast Lineup
All dishes will be served family-style.
with sunchoke purée and katsuobushi
Charred Eggplant Caponata
with tama miso, walnuts, and lotus root chips
Crispy Rice Onigiri
with soy simmered shiitake, ginger, and preserved lemon
with soy pickled egg, jako, and creamy sesame dressing
Roasted Carrots & Kabocha
with shiso pesto and tofu carrot purée
with tofu aioli, pomegranate seeds, and black garlic purée
lightly fried and served with meyer lemon nanban sauce
Beef Shortrib Kakuni
sweet soy braised and served with daikon, rainbow carrots, and chickpeas
Strawberry Matcha Shortcake
with shiso chantilly
5 Bleecker St.
New York, NY 10012
- Do I have to bring printed tickets to the event?
- No tickets are needed.
- What can/can't I bring to the event?
- Please bring your ID as well as cash if you plan on purchasing beverages.
- Are there ID requirements or an age limit to attend?
- Yes. ID is required and you must be 21+ to attend.
- What is the event ticket cancellation/refund policy?
- Tickets are non-refundable. However, you can transfer your tickets to someone else if you purchased tickets to attend this event but can no longer attend. However, tickets purchased for this event are not transferrable to future events. Please let us know in advance if you intend to transfer your ticket(s) to someone else, and provide us with the new guests’ names and emails. We will not be able to accommodate guests that are not on the guest list.
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers the full cost of the meal.
- Can I bring guests/non-members to this event?
- Yep! For this event, guest tickets are $65 + tax & tip, and you can bring up to 3 guests. Please note, guests are not allowed to attend unaccompanied by a member.
- What dietary restrictions/food allergies can be accommodated at this event?
- At this event, we will be able to accommodate all dietary restrictions and food allergies except for soy-specific gluten allergies, as there will be soy sauce in many of the courses. Make sure to update your dietary restrictions within your Account Info before or after you purchase tickets, or email us at [email protected] after you purchase tickets to let us know what your allergies/restrictions are so we can give the chef a heads up.