Super Mega Bien
Restaurant In The Home Series: Pt. 8
We're heading to Denver with this chefstream, for a collaboration with Westword’s “Best New Restaurant of 2019” award winner: Super Mega Bien! Our host for this class, Chef/Owner Dana Rodriguez, is undoubtedly one of Denver’s biggest culinary names as a 4-time James Beard “Best Chef” nominee (one of which is right now, as she’s currently a FINALIST for the 2020 James Beard “Best Chef: Mountain” Award!). With Super Mega Bien, Chef Rodriguez offers Pan-Latin cuisine served dim sum-style, which shows influences from Mexico, Brazil, Cuba, and Peru in dishes like lamb mixiote and pork pibi. But, the dim sum concept is not in name only, as some dishes combine Latin-American and Asian flavors, like Peking-roasted and honey-glazed duck with escabeche and gorditas. Needless to say, we can’t wait to step into her home kitchen at what will undoubtedly be a blast of a class!
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Co-Owner
A native of Chihuahua, Mexico, Chef Dana Rodriguez cut her teeth several of Denver’s most acclaimed eateries – Panzano and Tamayo before striking out on her own in 2013 with her first restaurant, Work & Class. She followed it up with Super Mega Bien in 2018. She’s a 4-time James Beard nominee and is currently a finalist for this year’s “Best Chef: Mountain” Award. Fingers crossed she wins it!
The Class Details
What does my ticket get me?
In addition to getting access to the live-streamed class, where Chef Rodriguez will run cooking demos for each of the 3 courses and participate in a Q&A with attendees, you will receive a PDF Recipe Book with step-by-step cooking instructions for each course. You will also receive access to a full video recording of the class the day after its completion.
What will we be cooking?
1st Course: Beet Salad with lemon crema and pumpkin seeds
2nd Course: Carne Asada with chimichurri
3rd Course: Butterscotch Pudding with butterfinger crunch
How long will the class take?
We aim for 1hr 45min from start to finish: ~1 hour of cooking demos and ~45 minutes for discussion and Q&A. However, this depends entirely on how many questions attendees have for Chef Rodriguez during the Q&A at the end of the class.
What will the yield be?
2 servings of each course.
What kitchen utensils and appliances will be used?
- Aluminum foil
- Blender or food processor
- Citrus juicer (optional)
- Cooling rack (optional)
- Cutting board
- Dish gloves (optional)
- Heavy bottomed pan
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Medium pot
- Mixing bowls (2 - 4)
- Plastic wrap
- Roasting pan
- Sharp knife
- Small bowls (2)
- Stand or hand mixer (optional)
- Vegetable peeler (optional)
- Zester or grater
What ingredients will be needed?
In addition to the following kitchen staples – black pepper, brown and powdered sugar, kosher salt, canola or vegetable oil, olive oil, vanilla extract, and vinegar (either red or white wine, rice, or apple cider) – try to acquire the ingredients listed below:
- Butterfinger candy bar
- Heavy cream
- Milk (whole or low fat)
- Pumpkin seeds
- Smoked paprika
- Sour cream
- Steak (rib eye, skirt steak, or your favorite)
*Note, attendees will be emailed a detailed grocery list with quantities of each ingredient needed from the list above.
Super Mega Bien
1260 25th St
Denver, CO 80205
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers access to the livestream class, as well as the discussion/Q&A session. The ticket price DOES NOT cover the cost of ingredients, as you need to acquire the ingredients separately through whatever means you prefer.
- What is the refund policy?
- Tickets are fully refundable up until 24 hours prior to the start of this class. Refund requests made within 24 hours of this class's start time will not be honored.
- What happens after I purchase my ticket?
- You'll immediately receive a receipt for your purchase in your email inbox. Then, within 48 hrs. you'll be emailed a detailed grocery shopping list with the quantities of each ingredient that will be needed to cook the dishes. Then, 24 hrs. before showtime, you'll be emailed the Recipe Book PDF for the class. Lastly, 15 min. before the class starts, you'll be emailed a link through which you'll be able to join the virtual classroom.
- What do I need to do in preparation for this class?
- If you don't already have it, you'll need to download the free Zoom application to your smartphone, tablet, or computer (whichever you'll be following along on during the class) and make sure to create a free zoom account. And, please ensure that you have a good internet connection so that you don't have any issues streaming the class. Additionally, if you plan on cooking along with the chef during the class, please acquire all of the necessary ingredients in the appropriate quantities (as outlined in the grocery shopping list email we send you), and make sure you have all of the necessary cooking utensils/appliances outlined above.