Restaurant In The Home Series: Pt. 3
With the third installment of our Restaurant In The Home series, we're heading to the Windy City for a deep dive into "New Americana" cuisine courtesy of Split-Rail! The brainchild of one of Chicago's most beloved chefs, Zoe Schor, Split-Rail offers a nostalgic love letter to classic Midwestern comfort food; exactly what we're craving right now during these unsettling times! Chef Schor has a culinary resume that reads like a best-of list, having cut her teeth at Thomas Keller's Bouchon, Tom Colicchio's Craft, and Todd English's Beso, before striking out on her own. With Split-Rail, she draws on this wealth of fine-dining experience to offer a reimagined, much more refined, take on lowbrow Midwestern cuisine. Did we mention that Chef Schor earned a James Beard "Best Chef: Great Lakes" Semi-Finalist Nomination for her cooking at Split-Rail?!? She'll be welcoming us into her home for this class, where she'll be teaching us how to cook a 3-course meal that showcases a few of her favorite Split-Rail dishes. If you're craving some refined comfort food right now like we are, look no further than this class!
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
After graduating from culinary school in NYC, Chef Schor moved to LA to hone her craft at Tom Collichio's Craft, Todd English's Beso, and Thomas Keller's Bouchon, before relocating to Chicago to serve as Executive Chef at the highly-acclaimed Ada St. (which she guided to numerous Michelin Bib Gourmand selections). In 2018, she received the prestigious James Beard "Best Chef: Great Lakes" Semi-Finalist Nomination for her cooking at Split-Rail.
The Class Details
What does my ticket get me?
In addition to getting access to the live-streamed class, where Chef Schor will run cooking demos for each of the 3 courses and participate in a Q&A with attendees, you will receive a PDF booklet with step-by-step cooking instructions for each course. You will also receive a full video recording of the class the day after its completion.
What will we be cooking?
1. Chilled Asparagus with Soft-Boiled Egg
2. Seared Salmon with Cauliflower Couscous, Spring Vegetables & Chimichurri
3. Cookies & Cream Panna Cotta
How long will the class take?
Roughly 1hr 30min from start to finish; ~45 minutes of cooking demos and ~45 minutes for discussion/Q&A.
What will the yield be?
2 servings of each course.
What kitchen utensils/appliances will be used?
- Black Steel, Cast Iron, or Non-Stick Pan
- Large Pot (6qt or larger)
- Small Pot (1-3qt)
- Small Sautée Pan (7-8")
- Baking Molds/Cups (4 cups needed)
- Mixing Bowl (6-8 cup)
- Strainers (preferably one basket/spider strainer, and one fine strainer if available)
- Spatulas (preferably one metal and one rubber if available)
- Small ladle
- Measuring Cup & Measuring Spoons
- Large Sharp Knife (i.e. Chef's Knife)
- Cutting Board
- Thumbtack or pin
- Blender (optional)
- Food Processor (optional)
What ingredients will be needed?
In addition to the following usual kitchen staples (salt, sugar, butter, neutral oil, olive oil, and distilled white vinegar), try to acquire the ingredients listed below. Note, we will email you a detailed list of the necessary quantities of each ingredient below after you purchase your ticket:
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Peas (either fresh or frozen)
- Green Onions
- Heavy Cream
- Whole Milk
- Unflavored Gelatin Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Oreo Cookies
- Hot Sauce (optional)
2500 W. Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers access to the livestream class, as well as the discussion/Q&A session. The ticket price DOES NOT cover the cost of ingredients, as you need to acquire the ingredients separately through whatever means you prefer.
- What is the refund policy?
- Tickets are fully refundable up until 24 hours prior to the start of this class. Refund requests made within 24 hours of this class's start time will not be honored.
- What do I need to do in preparation for this class?
- If you don't already have it, you'll need to download the free Zoom application to your smartphone, tablet, or computer (whichever you'll be following along on during the class) and make sure to create a free zoom account. And, please ensure that you have a good internet connection so that you don't have any issues streaming the class. Additionally, if you plan on cooking along with the chef during the class, please acquire all of the necessary ingredients in the appropriate quantities (as outlined in the grocery shopping list email we send you), and make sure you have all of the necessary cooking utensils/appliances outlined above.