Restaurant In The Home Series: Pt. 7
We're heading to Seattle with this class, for a collaboration with one of the city's brightest new culinary stars: Sawyer! Housed in a former sawmill, Sawyer is where Chef/Owner Mitch Mayers lets his creativity run riot with dishes like bone-marrow infused matzoh ball pho and porchetta naan wrap with chimichurri. Fun is the operative word for Chef Mayers' menu, as we mustn’t forget that he got his start at the age of 14, mixing cotton candy sugar at state fairs for a family's concessions business. Upon opening in summer 2018, Sawyer quickly established itself as one of Seattle's most sought-after eateries with praise from the folks at James Beard as a semi-finalist for their "Best New Restaurant" award (in the entire country!). Did we mention that Chef Mayers was literally just selected as a 2020 James Beard "Best Chef: Northwest & Pacific" semi-finalist? Needless to say, we're are in for a treat with this class!
About the Host:
Executive Chef & Owner
A Culinary Institute of America grad, Chef Mayers cut his teeth at Denver's Hillstone Restaurant Group, and Seattle's Lark (where he served as Chef de Cuisine), before opening Sawyer in 2018. He's a two-time Cochon 555 Seattle award-winner, was named one of Zagat’s 2018 “Eight Under the Radar Chefs to Know in Seattle”, and has earned numerous semi-finalist nominations from the James Beard Foundation ("Best New Restaurant" 2019, and "Best Chef: Northwest & Pacific" 2020).
The Class Details
What does my ticket get me?
In addition to getting access to the live-streamed class, where Chef Mayers will run cooking demos for each of the 3 courses and participate in a Q&A with attendees, you will receive a PDF Recipe Book with step-by-step cooking instructions for each course. You will also receive a full video recording of the class the day after its completion.
What will we be cooking?
1st Course: Tuna Crudo with smashed avocado, spicy mayo, and sweet soy marinade
2nd Course: Pan Seared Sirloin Steak with fingerling potatoes and white BBQ sauce
3rd Course: Nectarine Cobbler with biscuit topping and vanilla ice cream
How long will the class take?
We aim for 1hr 45min from start to finish: ~1 hour of cooking demos and ~45 minutes for discussion and Q&A. However, this depends entirely on how many questions attendees have for Chef Mayers during the Q&A at the end of the class.
What will the yield be?
2 servings of each course.
What kitchen utensils and appliances will be used?
- Chef's knife
- Cooling rack (optional)
- Cutting Board
- Fine mesh strainer
- Heat-resistant spatula
- Heavy bottom pan
- Large pot
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Saute pan
- Sharp knife
- Small baking dish ~ 4"x 6"
- Small bowls
- Small pot
What ingredients will be needed?
In addition to the following kitchen staples (extra virgin olive oil, baking powder, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and black pepper), try to acquire the ingredients listed below. Note, we will email you a detailed list of the necessary quantities of each ingredient below after you purchase your ticket:
- Ahi Tuna
- All-purpose flour
- Apple cider vinegar
- Champagne vinegar
- Fingerling potatoes or marble potatoes
- Gochujang or sriracha
- Heavy cream
- Seaweed snacks
- Sirloin steak
- Sour cream
- Soy sauce
- Spicy brown mustard
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
*Note, attendees will be emailed a detailed grocery list with quantities of each ingredient needed from the list above.
5309 22nd Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107
- What does the ticket price cover?
- The ticket price covers access to the livestream class, as well as the discussion/Q&A session. The ticket price DOES NOT cover the cost of ingredients, as you need to acquire the ingredients separately through whatever means you prefer.
- What is the refund policy?
- Tickets are fully refundable up until 24 hours prior to the start of this class. Refund requests made within 24 hours of this class's start time will not be honored.
- What happens after I purchase my ticket?
- You'll immediately receive a receipt for your purchase in your email inbox. Then, within 48 hrs. you'll be emailed a detailed grocery shopping list with the quantities of each ingredient that will be needed to cook the dishes. Then, 24 hrs. before showtime, you'll be emailed the Recipe Book PDF for the class. Lastly, 15 min. before the class starts, you'll be emailed a link through which you'll be able to join the virtual classroom.
- What do I need to do in preparation for this class?
- If you don't already have it, you'll need to download the free Zoom application to your smartphone, tablet, or computer (whichever you'll be following along on during the class) and make sure to create a free zoom account. And, please ensure that you have a good internet connection so that you don't have any issues streaming the class. Additionally, if you plan on cooking along with the chef during the class, please acquire all of the necessary ingredients in the appropriate quantities (as outlined in the grocery shopping list email we send you), and make sure you have all of the necessary cooking utensils/appliances outlined above.